The Alhambra Theatre is the historic movie theatre in the Haynie's Corner Arts District of Evansville, Indiana. It was designed by Frank J. Schlotter and opened on September 27, 1913 as a movie theatre.
Our Alhambra was one of many built in the Moorish style at the turn of the 20th century influenced by the Alhambra palace in Spain. Although Alhambra theatres opened all over the world, only a traditional playhouse built in New York predates Evansville's built in the United States.
The theater cost $18,000,00 to build, that would be $432,784.00 in today's dollars. It was the largest movie theatre in Evansville at the time. It included a cigar shop and a confectionary; it spurred many new businesses in the area now designated as the Haynies Corner Arts District. When talking pictures emerged it was the first local movie theatre equipped for sound and air conditioning. For 43 years it was the anchor of the neighborhood it served until it closed in 1956.
The current effort to restore the Theatre began in 2003 and started with the roof and the exterior. The restored exterior of the building ended the first stage of the renovation and rehabilitation. Now our focus shifts to the interior spaces. Our goal is to have the lobby restored in 2015 and the auditorium open and functioning by 2017.
Our mission is to enhance the arts and the arts community in Evansville by hosting activities for the public and serving as an anchor to the Haynie's Corner Arts District again.
The Alhambra Theatre Film Festival © 2017